The Fam!

The Fam!
All Us Huttons

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

It's All About the Humility

While I was in services last Sunday, I sat behind an older couple. After the service, they both turned to me and said how much they loved hearing me sing. I scoffed, of course,because that is what you're supposed to do, right? Humble. ("No! No! No! You must have heard someone else . . .I am an untalented worm . . .") With brutal honestly, I confess I was proud.

The lady told me, "Jackie, you can write, and draw and really sing. Is there anything you can't do?"

Instantly I was brought back to earth. To the core of the earth.
Because . . .

I can't forgive sometimes.
I can't handle being around certain people sometimes.
I can't control my temper sometimes.
I can't master patience sometimes.
I can't smile when I want to scream sometimes.
I can't stop eating sometimes.
I can't stop bad words from spewing sometimes.
I can't make myself get up and go to church/fellowship/serve the church sometimes.
I can't cry sometimes.
I can't love sometimes.


Up next to those brutal realities, who cares at all if you can write, or draw or sing - any of the time?

1 comment:

Amy said...

Writing, drawing, and singing are gifts and talents we were all given. How we use them to uplift others and praise God is up to us... you are a master at those.

The others are behaviors and habits. The very fact that you recognize your flaws and are working on them is to your credit.

Take the love and praise you are given - they wouldn't say it if they didn't mean them.