The Fam!

The Fam!
All Us Huttons

Friday, September 25, 2009

Estate Sale

When I was a child, there were objects in the house that brought certain memories to the fore instantly - the pink thing, the roast pan, the picture of those mountains . . .

There are objects in my house full of memories as well. What they will say about me one day?

The apple bowl - Will people remember I always made the ranch in that?

the green angled egg plate - Will people remember my eggs that I brought to all the potlucks?

"Two Cows Under Mesquite Lit by Moonlight and Fireflies" - Will people grin at my silly art?

The cast iron pan with the wooden handle - Will Rob and Jarred remember the fried chicken?


. . . or will they all end up in an estate sale, people haggling over 75 cents.

What will be the things that my sons, my daughters-in-law, my sisters, my friends will want to take with them to remind them of me when I'm gone?

Wow. Heavy thoughts for a Friday.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Estate sales are really sad events; I've been to a few and the treasures you find are not worth the sad remains of a life lived. Please don't let Andy sell my left-over nail polish for 5cents!

Jaci said...

All your roosters!!! I remember when we were moving them all around. Your shoe shining thing (I like that cause you painted it!!!) Your two cows painting cause you still owe me one!!! Hahaha .. there are lots of things that come attached with memories for me!!!!

Brandee and Rob said...

we were actually just talking about fried chicken. I said I didn't like fried chicken unless it was from KFC. Rob said well you haven't had my mom's. Plenty of memories.