The Fam!

The Fam!
All Us Huttons

Sunday, June 08, 2008

A Dog Story

When I ride to work I go back behind the elementary. It's all wooded and peaceful. Probably the best part of my ride.

The only problem is that there is a mama dog - probably a drop off, who has about 6 puppies. You can see her ribs and backbone from the back of a horse. She is very protective, snarling and barking right up underneath Tesster. And while Tess usually loves to go after dogs (she has a distinct sadistic streak), she does not like this dog. I don't understand, but it must be saying things only she can understand, because she flat out wants to bolt away from her and all the little yappy pups who follow her lead. It's irritating. Still, I feel bad for the mama who obviously is starving trying to keep her puppies fed.

That all changed this week. The mama dog was gone. I was met with half hearted barks and tails tucked as I rode home Friday. They were alone. And it occurred to me that the mama must have been killed. The puppies were now on their own. Probably because some person didn't find $80.00 to get a dog fixed.

Next time I ride I'll look for her, but I don't think she's coming back. She wouldn't have left those puppies all by themselves to contend with the huge black and white thing if she had been able to.

Bummer. Big time.

3 comments:

The Johnsons said...

Are you going to take the puppies and find them homes?! Oh my - I would help you if I wasn't 3 hours away... Poor guys...

Jaci said...

Oh man!!! Can you drop them off at the place we got Levi and Blue from?? That is absolutely heart wrenching and makes me wanna cry. (I think my hormones are WAYYYYY outta line right now) hope those puppies are ok and hope the mama was just trying to find some food for herself and her puppies .....

jenn said...

that's so sad! i'm sad for the starving mamma trying to take care of her babies and for the babies that are having to do without their mamma! let me know if they're still there and i'll take them to a shelter.