The Fam!

The Fam!
All Us Huttons

Sunday, June 07, 2009

Bedtime

Every night, when the play is all done, the baths are all over and we four (Me, James, Julie and Jocelyn) turn towards bed.

They used to cry. Now, they hurry because I tell them a story. They were too young before to understand and listen. Now?

Now Julie whispers back everything I describe to her about the princess that lives in a castle playing with birds. James giggles out out in excitement when I describe the little boy (who just happens to be his age and size and even has his name) who holds on to the fin of a whale while they fly out of the water. They both shoot sparks out of their eyes, asking me questions about each story. And always, always tell me they love me without any prompting from me at all. Julie said last night: "Oo-mah. I am really happy." And even Jocelyn, who cannot possibly understand, smiles and lays right down. They always wake up laughing.

Man, I love this age.

Man, I love these guys.

4 comments:

The Johnsons said...

I am so glad you are having this time with your grandkids! It sounds priceless. :)

Dana said...

SO sweet!! I remember being tucked in and story time. Three stories stand out the most: Dad read us Old Mother West Wind. I remember looking forward to that. Another was Ray when I would spend the night with Julie. He would tell us bible stories and tell them all wrong. We would squeal and correct him in giggles. Then Mom was always patient to relive stories from when she was little over and over and over and over..... Great memories!

When your babies are 29, they will remember your stories with great fondness as well. Way to build memories!

Amy said...

Don't know who's getting the most from this visit - the kids, or you! It is wonderful to see you face full of love for these little ones!

Ceal said...

This is such a precious story Jackie. I am so glad that you all are making such wonderful memories. They are just the best kids in the world. God is so good to us and half the time we don't even recognize it.