The Fam!

The Fam!
All Us Huttons

Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Where's the Freedom?

How do you find the line between serving and spreading yourself too thin?

I find myself surrounded by a cage of obligations which I have built. I can't seem to be able to say "No" to people, to situations . . it's as if I don't do something, maybe nothing will be done. And if nothing happens, how will they see God? Does no one worry about this but me?

And as I hear myself agreeing to, promising to, volunteering to . . I can't believe that the people asking can't see that I am in trouble. Or that the people watching me, shaking their heads that I'm " . . over doing it", do not help.


But I say nothing to them as they hug me with relieved thanks.

There is no way to obliterate some without pain, anger, confusion . . .

Father, save me from myself.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I realize reading this post that I am one of those people who think you do too much and do not help. Part of it is that I am not as invested in the lives who require so much of you as you are - because you love in such a way that those around you do not feel anything the least bit odd about asking so much of you and your time. Their needs are the only needs they see, and you are the one to help with them; not realizing that others are feeling the same way and needing your help as well. Your true desire to serve and honor God make you approachable to those who need what you offer; time, committment, and most of all - love.

Cryssy said...

I have to say first that I love that this is a struggle for you. Speaks very highly of your absolute devotion to our God and Savior. However, how can you do so much and give all of those tasks each what they need (100%)? How does that serve Him? If you are spread so thin, how can God recieve the glory from less than 100%? It is like "octo-mom," how could she possibly give the amount of time each of those babies need without denying one of the others? Also, trust more that God will supply others to fill in where you simply can not. Have faith to say no. May God continue to bless ALL of your many and wonderful efforts. And I agree with Amy 100%!! muaw!

Dana said...

I am SO there with you! Just Monday, I heard myself volunteer something and as soon as it was out of my mouth, I wanted to cry and kick myself at the same time. If you figure out how to get freed up from this mess we make for ourselves, share your wisdom with me!

But most importantly, I love you!!! I'll see you next week and you can let it all out if you like. If not, I have a fun new game to play that will at least give a few minutes of laughter. Whatever you want!