The Fam!

The Fam!
All Us Huttons

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Airport Observations

I stand there, waiting for the call to wait in line so I can wait to check in, wait to find my seat, wait to take off, wait to land . . .

anyhow,

There I was, listening to my music watching people in the airport. I saw dozens of chubby couples, the wife almost always in front of the 'Dun-Lap' guy behind her. She looks perpetually irritated, he looks anxious that he is the cause for that irritation. And the only thing that I can't keep out of my mind is the fact that once those two giggled and whispered and 'did laundry' all the time. She ached for his call and died a little death when he kissed her. He hurried home to be able to touch her hand, smell the scent of 'her'.

But somewhere along the line they became disillusioned with that, or with each other, or maybe with life.


So what were people thinking as they watched me?

I think I need to remember that.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Watching people often makes me think things like that - especially young mothers with their kids.

I hope you are having a wonderful visit - I will miss you everyday you are gone.

Hug Robbie for me!

Darla said...

I was in an airport just a few days back myself but I think my sister and I were probably being observed more than we were observing.

We had a lay over and as we settled ourselves down for a brief stay in Phonenix Linda reached into her purse for a sip of her diet Coke she had purchased at the first stop. As she twisted the lid a sudden gush of pressure forced the lid loose and made the loudest pop I had ever heard from a coke bottle. Linda and I both were startled at first, then we started giggling uncontrollably, disturbing all of the people around who by then were looking at us over their newspapers, books, laptops or around the corners.

A woman sitting directly across from us got up, went to the bathroom and on her return seated herself next to us although her seat along with other seats were available, upon which she picked up an easy conversation with us.

I guess she had a sister somewhere, too.

Dana said...

I love airports! People just coming and going. Vacations, just getting home, business trips - all people in all walks of life. So much fun!

jenn said...

Wow, awesome blog! I really needed to read that too...I need to be that giggly girl today that can't 'be with her man" enough. I haven't been today...I'll get started right now! Love you, miss you