The Fam!

The Fam!
All Us Huttons

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Oh the Joy of Paginisim

When I was a little girl, we were heathens and celebrated easter.

We never did the Church service - my parents hypocrisy did have boundaries. We did the egg dyeing and the jelly beans and the chocolate bunny stuff. We would do the eggs up and the 'easter bunny' would hide them at night and we'd get up and find them the next morning. Then we'd hide them again, and find them, and we'd hide them again, and we'd find them - my fingers are tired. Then we'd get the real treat - we'd actually get to eat the eggs. (My parents didn't do the deviled . . ie:'angel ed" egg thing . . . I have no idea why.) Oh the yellow surround by that grren slime thing . . Mmmmm. One of those things you look forward to.

. . . and then . . .

And then I wonder at the sanitary aspect of it all. Eggs at room temperature all night then eaten? And all that dye. I remember seeing the lines of it that had bled through some crack in the shell to stain the white. Gag. I remember giggling at the gas we all seemed to become full of on easter evening.

Oooo. Such happy happy memories.

1 comment:

andrew said...

Some of my early memories of Easter is hunting eggs in the house. When we had the girls at home, we dyed eggs together (well..Amy and the girls) and put them in the fridge for the Easter Bunny to hide early the next morning. Never bit the ears off the chocolate bunny, though.