The Fam!

The Fam!
All Us Huttons

Friday, November 02, 2007

Doubt

What is it that makes us doubt ourselves?

When I was starting the publishing thing, I was so sure that what I wrote was a good work. I wanted an honest opinion so I asked Johnnie Rosenhaur to read it to tell me what I needed to have done to get it published. He really, really liked it and said all I needed were illustrations. I sat at the table reading the gallery when it came in and I was so happy with my phrasing and the whole thing.

Now, here I sit, scared to have anyone read it. I don't think it's any good anymore. In fact, I think it's poor. I was at Darla's and she was looking at the first chapter on line and all I could think was that I didn't want her to read it. It wasn't good enough for her to read.

I'm beginning to think I should never have ventured this far.

2 comments:

Jaci said...

remember, we are our own worse critic. Your book is awesome!! and if the publishing company thought it wasnt any good, they wouldnt have published it because they would think they wouldnt make any money off of it. Avidently they saw something in it. :)

Darla said...

WOW! Do I understand that! I feel that way EVERY time I do a painting. I am ready to redo it so it will be better long before I finish and it is only when people validate the work am I okay to show it but as soon as I show it to someone who also, does artwork I begin to doubt myself. Most recently I showed some work to an ex-student who is getting her BA in Art and I felt mine was too country, too trite!

BUT as a teacher I am constantly telling my students to trust in your decisions. You will gain confidence as you go and begin to be able to grow from there.

I knew you felt that way and did not read it in front of you. BUT it is great and you should stop the doubting thing. This is going to your spring-board for growth.