The Fam!

The Fam!
All Us Huttons

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Intimidation stinks.

I HATE people who come up to you, hand over a folder with the chance to buy cookie dough, or wrapping paper or pecan pies or WHATEVER. For their kids or their grand kids. For trips to Florida or Sea World or to England for a senior trip.

Lord help you if you don't buy stuff from them . . you have to go to church with these people, or work with them. Had someone come to my door (from church) to get in my door so her grand kid (not from church) could get me to buy something I had NO want to buy. It was intimidation, pure and simple. And people do it all the time.

I just gave her $10.00. Didn't buy a thing.

3 comments:

Dana said...

Good for you! usually that stuff is so over priced and SO not worth it. You probably got out cheaper with the $10! My school just got through with three (yep - THREE) fund raisers! I feel your pain...

Darla said...

I agree with you with the exception being fund raisers that are to benefit unselfish causes like cancer research.

But for the selfish fund raisers the following: Our children do NOT need to go to New York, Europe or the Moon for their senior trips. Nor do they need to have every advantage that the rest of the population has to work fifty years to earn. We live in a society that seems to think that our children need to experience everything before they graduate from high school.

Okay, parents and grandparents (and those who will be) listen up. Stop giving those poor babies EVERYTHING they want. Let them earn something for themselves. And that means toys, toys, and more toys. When they reach the point of happy, they can not get any happier with another gift. What we do to our children is over-give to them and then wonder WHY DO THEY EXPECT MORE?

I could get on a soap box over this but will refrain at this moment.

Sorry, think I just did.

Jaci said...

My major thing is it isnt the kids doing the work but the parents doing the work for the kids. What happened to kids actually WORKING for something they WANT (not need, want)??