The Fam!

The Fam!
All Us Huttons

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

March 5th

March 4, 2007 my sister Cindy came in to Mom's hospital room and said that Mom would not get off the respirator until the 5th because the 4th was Austin (her son) birthday. I remember I was so angry because I told her that the 5th was Julie's birthday.

She didn't look at me as she said "It's on the 5th" and walked away, dismissing me.Because to her, my granddaughter was no big deal. To her, it was a matter of having to making sure her world was as seamless as possible.

I am helpless against such attitudes then and now.

On my calender it has 'Julie!' with a heart and 'Mom' in the far right hand corner for the 5th of March. While that black day at the hospital might have been blotted out of mind . . it stays.

I would never forget Jules and no, thanks to a thoughtless sister, Mom. And for a daughter who hasn't too many memories it's a good thing.

2 comments:

jenn said...

With it being Julie's 1st birthday, you have a sweet way to remember your mom.

Amy said...

I sure wish I knew what to say - those anniversaries are hard to take, especially when they fall on someone else's day. Your Julie will always bring you joy, so I'd focus on that -