The Fam!

The Fam!
All Us Huttons

Sunday, February 04, 2007

The Song Remembers When

I remember sitting in the wet heat of central Missouri when I was about 14 years old, listening to "Dream Weaver" and Boston and Styx and Heart and Chicago. As vivid as if it were an hour ago, I can feel the heat sear it's way into my stupidly exposed shoulders (but I didn't know that then). I lived through an amazing part of history . . . infamously so I think. But I didn't know that then. I was blissfully ignorant of Iran and Jimmy Carter and free love. Life was . .well, life. I simply occupied a piece of it. I never thought it worthy of memory.

The reason I bring it up is because that part of my life is so dormant 99.9% of the time. Then comes a song. And I'm back. WHAM! Like 30 years haven't gone past, like innocence hadn't died, and like my body was yet unaffected by UV rays. And it's a good thing.

If you can use your mind to travel back in time, back into a 'tangible' life . . . then I believe in time travel. I do it all the time.

2 comments:

jenn said...

wow! what a great blog! you are sucha good story teller! i like to travel back in time too. to the simpler, more peacful times to get away form the now and also to the hard times to remeber where i was once beofre and how God pulled me through sticky situations then!
i love you!

andrew said...

This one of those, "If I knew then what I know now" things. I think the 'simplier times' were those when we were naive and not as aware of some of the cares and issues of the world. Kind of like the times as a kid that we would lay on the grass by the driveway and look at the clouds drift by. We would imagine that they were shapes of animals and things. We would see how long a certain cloud would drift from one spot in the sky to another. We would see how long a shadow of a cloud would cover us as if drifted between us and the sun. We even tried to keep up with the shadow on occassion. I cannot even imagine doing that now. Time seems so limited. But I think we put our own limits on our time. We fill up our days with activities that we deem important and worthy of our time. Only now (to quote a well known song), we see life and clouds "from both sides now". Maybe we need to simplify a bit.