The Fam!

The Fam!
All Us Huttons

Thursday, May 03, 2007

The Tire Swing

I remember hearing the high pitched shrill scream of cicadas while I sat on the tire swing when I was a little girl. The edges of the rubber cut into my skin, but it didn't matter then. It was early summer, hot and humid and I think the smell of sweat wasn't offensive then as it is now. I would use my toes to wind the rope around and around until it almost knotted. Then I would lift my feet, lock my knees, put my head back and unwind at about a thousand miles an hour. It would unwind, then begin to knot up the other way and you'd help it until it was time to let it fly.

The laugh that produces gives me a smile now at the memory.

A perfect diamond to time. Age cannot dim it. It is my honest prayer that I have been a part of memories like that to Rob and Jarred.

4 comments:

Ceal said...

In comments that Jarred has made Jackie you can rest assured that you have made many wonderful memories in his mind. Just in the things he has told me about. I am sure there are many many more that he has not shared.

Ceal

Cryssy said...

Amen!! Even the short time that we spent so much time together, I have many memories like that. I remember your kitchen on Lackland. I remember car trips to Bible studies. I remember talks we had. I remember things that you might have thought were so trivial. First time I saw anyone cook frozen hamburger meat... First time I played 20 questions (ever)... Lots of good stuff. Life long memories. Memories of things that have helped me become who I am. Thank you.

andrew said...

Even relatively recent memories:

-barn roofs for the kids
-laying on the trampoline at night
-watching the night sky with and without telescopes
-enjoying all the celestial eclipses, satellites, constellations and all the various entertainments of the sky, in general
-conversations by the fireplace
-sharing meals together

Rob said...

Every time I pick up a softball or a baseball I think about warm summer evenings, just me and you playing "burn out". When I visit a hospital I think about all the times you had to rush me there to fix a broken bone. When I make the most delicious batch of Biscuits and gravy I think about waking up in the morning and you were hard at work making sure breakfast was always there (until the horses came along anyway)=). Sweet tea has you written all over it. Everytime I drive through the country I think about the simple life I was surrounded by, but took for granted when I was younger. Church songs, you. People riding horses, you. Brake lights in the distance and the way you cover your eyes cause you think they are right infront of us, definatley you. Peperidge Farm Goldfish, you. Deer jerky for christmas, you. Everytime Brandee tells me how lucky she is, I thank you for molding me into the man I am today. I love you.