The Fam!

The Fam!
All Us Huttons

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Hey, You Learned Types

Question for the teachers.: Does your reading level decide your reading speed?

Case in point: I have been reading a LOT of Anya Seton, Alison Weir, Alexander Thom and EVERYTHING from Edward Rutherford. So I picked up a book at the airport to kill time before my flight yesterday and finished it in 5 hours. (Less if you count the waiting in line, getting up to stretch my legs, staring a a substance called 'rain' in Atlanta . . . ) Revolutionary Road - 462 pages. I've never read something that fast before. And although Richard Yates is a really good writer, it's not Rutherford- - I have to look up definitions sometimes with the Ed-ster.

Does that make a difference?

2 comments:

Amy said...

First off - glad you got back safely!!

This is probably not researched-based, but I would say, the better "level" reader you are, the faster you will go. Conversely, if your reading is at a low level, you will go slower. Andy, however, is a really slow reader, but retains every word he reads.

Dana said...

I am about to reveal my nerdiness about the technical side of reading:

In working with my little ones, I have learned that there is little correlation between speed and being a good reader. We have little ones that are what we call "word callers". They sound like BEAUTIFUL readers but cannot answer a single question about what they just read (poor comprehension). Other students make me want to pull my hair out because of how disjointed and choppy their reading is. However, you can ask them anything about the book and they'll get every question correct. One thought we have to correct is that someone who sounds good is a good reader. I've seen this with adults too. In most cases, comprehension and fluency will become closer as they get older but not always. The only fact I know to be true about reading can be said about anything - The more you practice, the better you get.