The Fam!

The Fam!
All Us Huttons

Friday, January 12, 2007

January 12, 1981

26 years ago today.

On this date, 26 years ago, I was very pregnant with Robby (obviously not a Christian at the time) and working an 8 hour board shift at KFBD radio in Waynesville Missouri, watching the clock. Robert was going to pick me up at 6 and we were headed to Rolla to my brother's trailer. My sister had arranged to have a preacher meet us there and we were going to get married. He'd already questioned us the day before, so I wasn't all freaked about it, but I was nervous as all get out. What was I doing??? Robert was this deadbeat guy, who was shipping off to the far away land of San Antonio Texas to go to Basic. All I could think was that I really should marry the father of my baby. A divoce was an easy thing for a later day.

Robert comes to pick me up with his mom, Barbara, and brother, Richard, in the car. (Robert's dad didn't come. It was bowling league night.) For some reason lost to time, I sat in the back with Barbara, while Robert and Richard sat up front, playing a video game as we drove the 30 odd miles to Rolla.

WHAT WAS I DOING?????

We get there and every one - Me, the preacher, Mom, Cheri, Barbara, Richard, Debbie (my brothers wife) and Robert are all doing the small talk thing when I hit my wall; If we didn't do it quick I was outta there.

So we get married, Robert all serious, me snorting because the ring (I bought it at Walmart) wouldn't go over my swollen third finger. We received a set of glasses. And Debbie made a cake.

26 years ago. So many ticks of the clock.

I liked him then, now I love him only second to God. I didn't really give him any credit then, now I respect him and his opinion more than my own. I didn't give him a thought most of the time then, now I trust him with every part of me. He was cute then. Now he is handsome.

How in the world do people live without God?

3 comments:

The Johnsons said...

Amazing. Where would you be if you had run when you hit the wall because of the small talk?!

I, for one, am so glad you met Robert, didn't run, are Christians, love and respect each other!

Hope we are as happy as you are 23 years from now!

Amy said...

Aren't we glad God knows more than we do?? Who ever thought the years would go so quickly, and that we would become the "old-timers?"

Thanks for your daily example of perseverance and love; you are up there with one of the great stories of all time! And this is just the beginning!!

We love you lots and lots!!
A & A!

Dana said...

Happy Anniversery to one of my two favorite couples on Earth! I hope to find myself as happy as you one day!