The Fam!

The Fam!
All Us Huttons

Saturday, January 20, 2007

What is the real Issue?

I think it's not how you feel about a person that is important, it's how you allow those feelings to affect your actions that constitutes prejudice.

Race is such an issue - and you can scream about it being justified, or reversed or excusable or whatever . . . it lives and it's healthy. But I look around at the world today it appears that we may not like a certain race (for example, liberals . . is that a race?) and we realize that they will see things different, and act different. So you take that into account, help them, while you grumble at their politics.

They will always be what they are, however, their race doesn't define you.

Animals react to situations. Then they go on. They ponder nothing abstract. They just do what they do. Humans, however, are not unreasoning reactionary beings. I wish the world would realize that.

2 comments:

Jaci said...

Hey mom. Jarred Here.
I think racism goes beyond simple misunderstandings of each others personal choices. For example, Liberals may have one of the weirdest views in the world, from my perspective, but I am not prejudice towards them.
Prejudice and racism is when people don't see beyond themselves to how much bigger issues and cultures really are. Back to liberals, I would hate to live in a world that there wasn't a left to every right. They keep this nation balanced between progressive secularism and a Christian dictatorship.
Living in Hawaii for about six years I have seen racism first hand and have been at the receiving end many a time. I wrote it off long ago as ignorance on there part. Now along with what Jaci said, I am getting sick and tired of tolerance. The Christian in me says turn the other cheek, but the human in me says where is the justice? Where is the white mans Martin Luther King screaming for the prejudices against us, as we silently sit here and take it. I don't view speaking out reactionary; I view it as screaming for a voice when all others have turned a deaf ear. Now I wasn’t exactly sure on where you were going with your blog, I think you were trying to write so carefully I missed where you were going with it.
I think a lot of Jaci’s anger is because, being part Hawaiian, she has defended my little comments about the education system here, the absurdity in there cultural history and so forth. Then to have a record company come out and do this was very hurtful to her. I think she is getting tired of fighting for a cause that isn’t what she believed it to be.
I love you!!!
-Jarred your Favored son.

andrew said...

I think there is a difference between prejudice and racism. Prejudice has basically to do w/ your attitude towards other people and racism has to do w/ others attitude towards other. One is more an inward thought and another is more of an outward action. Both are stupid. Yup...I said stupid. One thing about race...as long as people continue to make it an issue it will remain an issue. Think I'll have to blog on this.