The Fam!

The Fam!
All Us Huttons

Monday, November 06, 2006

I don't feel too good

Don't you hate being sick? Man! All the snorting, and dripping and just enough pain to put you off? You spend your time drinking juice and making juice and drinking juice . . you get the idea.

When I was a little girl I can only remember one time I really felt loved by my mom - I know, pretty pathetic, huh? It was when I had bronchitis and she had me put my head in her lap and then she brushed my hair. (Ok, she only did it that once, but that was something, right????) I was feeling all crummy and she gently ran that brush through my hair. It was all cold outside and warm there and mom smelled like mom and it was a great feeling that has stayed with me for close to 40 years.

You guys have any memories like that?

4 comments:

andrew said...

If we were ill with a cold (head or chest), Mom would make hot pink lemonade. It usually took two or three glasses of that and you were cured. No matter how bad you felt to start with, you were soon out of the bed and on your feet.

Cryssy said...

I have some memories of coddling. But most of my fond mommy memories were when I was older and being a pain in the keester. She was always so calm and so firm but always loving. I'm sure I've broken her heart along the road, but I wouldn't change a thing.

Amy said...

My mamaw was a little round woman with two long gray braids wrapped around her head. I remember, one night, I was in her room with her as she took down the braids; I'd never even considered the fact that they CAME down, and I was awestruck by their length and shiny-ness. She let me brush out the braids as long as my little arms would brush. Her hair was thin, but to me it was beautiful. Years later, my mom told me that my grandmother was extremely tender-headed, and with each brush-stroke I took, she bit her lips in pain. I'm so glad I had no idea; what we do for those we love always amazes me.

Dana said...

Possibly one of the most embarrassing moments of my life was about two days into my second year of teaching. I picked up some nasty bug somewhere and pretty much ruined my room. Mom and Dad took me to the emergancy room and stayed there until 4:00 a.m. I want to say that Dad actually carried me at some point but I may be wrong. Dad went to work the next day. I was so pitiful on the couch for days.

Throughout the midst of all of that, Mom and Dad cleaned up my room. It was gross. No details needed other than that. "Gross" pretty much says it all. I was horrified but they did it without complaining once.

That is love!