The Fam!

The Fam!
All Us Huttons

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Roll On Mississippi

Time blunts the edges of anger. Dripping with unstoppable tenacity, it dulls sharp edges of pain, granting a good, honest callus that protects and allows healing.

Wow. That sounded a little sappy. But let me explain quick. I was driving home from the stables and listening to my mp3 player to a song by Charlie Rich called "Roll On Mississippi" and memories cascaded all over me. And I actually grinned at some of them that before I would have sneered at in fury - for time lost and hopes shattered and brutal truths realized. But I didn't sneer this time. I remembered the bad, but it didn't effect me as it once did. And, man, did that feel good.

And maybe, just maybe, time will eradicate all anger and pain. Someday, perhaps, I will be able to lend only a wry smile to my past.

And wouldn't that be a gift of unreal grace from God?

2 comments:

andrew said...

Yes, Jackie, time heals all wounds. There may be scars and marks, but the wound is healed. If we extended grace more often maybe we would not have to let as much time go by before we are healed. You are right about the energy that we burn on usually worthless issues.

Thanks for the reminder.

jenn said...

wow jackie, its great to hear of healing and memories that are not feeled with only gunk. Grace is good and God is great!