The Fam!

The Fam!
All Us Huttons

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Evidence vs. Faith

One of the books I'm reading right now is by Josh McDowell and is on Christian Evidences. As I study it (and am totally blown away by the external and internal proof of our God, His Son and the Bible), I have found that I am put out with myself at my astonishment of this knowledge.

Haven't I always believed? Where is the faith I've always had? Did I need archeology and all that rot to back up God? Why is this such an important study to me . . why do I feel an honest need for it?

The answer, ironically, came today as I watched Star Wars. Seth Bauer (wadda sweetheart!) let me borrow the second and third chapter and I was hooked into re-watching the 4th, 5th and 6th. There was Luke going for the shaft opening with the torpedo at full speed. He turned off his targeting computer, going totally on blind faith in the voice of a dead man who told him to. He sank the torpedo on faith alone and saved the day (as anyone on this planet can tell you because we've all seen Star Wars!) This action was the basis for his devout love of the Force, that eventually became the force that saved his father. In short, it was the changing point in his life.

Because it was a miracle?

Maybe, but also because it was verification. He really needed to see that there was something out there bigger and more powerful than any death star, and darth vader. Only by the fact of it's existence could he learn of trust. And while the deed was miraculous, it was accomplished through him, by something bigger. It could not have been done without Luke's faith. He became part of it, not 'it'. Is there any way I'm making sense?

The rest of his life, he would see that moment as the moment he realized that. We are nothing, NOTHING without God. But we must let go according to knowledge.

Knowledge isn't a faith killer, it's a faith feeder. It can bolster a weak faith, it can bring tears of total joy to a strong faith - "I knew it, God! I knew You were real, and all the Bible is true! I knew it!"

So I'm taking myself off the hook here. Because I like tears of joy. They don't hurt at all.

2 comments:

The Johnsons said...

What a wonderful blog! Thank you for sharing.

I was walking some dogs today and I got to thinking about your blog yesterday (terrorists). With their beliefs being so radical, and thinking the same about us - how do we approach/communicate with them? Even if there was to be a respectful meeting (no terrorsits) how do we share our faith in God and the bible - when they see no grounds in them...

Does that make sense?

The Johnsons said...

Is that where the book you are reading comes in? Show them with 'science and history facts' - ?