The Fam!

The Fam!
All Us Huttons

Friday, August 25, 2006

Lessons from Jah

My 18 month old grandson did something for me today that gave me more hope and faith and more positive outlook than any sermon I've heard in a long, long time.

I was getting out of the car. Jarred was unloading the back and Jaci had Julie headed for the house. Because of my surgery, I move a lot slower than anyone else. I was moving across the seat when I hear a '"Eh? Eh?" There, at the open door, was Jah, his tiny hand reaching for mine so he could help me out of the car as he'd seen his daddy do. Dumbfounded that a little guy, so young would think of that, I took his hand and allowed him to help me out. He opened his mouth and made an "Ahh" sound, leaning towards me. This is a kiss from Jah. He wanted to help me then kiss me just as Jarred does everytime we go anywhere.

And while I am smiling at the memory as I type, I am filled with honest humble thanks, because he learned that from my son. My baby, Jarred, actually heard what Robert and I pounded into him all those years. He has become the center of my grandsons world, a sort of hero that Jah strives to immitate. And that little 18 month old imitation helps, and kisses and seeks out ways to be kind.

Maybe I wasn't the dismal failure as a mom as I feared.

2 comments:

Cryssy said...

Of course you're not a dismal failure!! James sounds like quite the little man. You really are blessed to have such wonderful sons and such a promise of excellent grandkids. I hope that Gabe will be just as great. Tell James that his aunt is very proud of him.

The Johnsons said...

I was smiling while reading at 'the picture' of Jah's actions while you were telling the story - very precious.

I was talking to Gregg's Aunt Krysti the other day about Mr. Hutton and you. She was bragging that her husband always opens the door for her, lightly leads her through the door with his hand gently pressing her back... Then I said that you wait in your passenger side seat for Mr. Hutton to walk around and open your car door... I think you won that arguement!