The Fam!

The Fam!
All Us Huttons

Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Toe Cheese of Life (it's an ugly picture)

There's a lot of junk out there within our lives that demand attention. You wish you could just space it off, skip merrily along, but you know, when you grow up, you can't live with your head in the sand. La la land is a lie and there is no wizard on the other side of the rainbow. So what do you do with all the toe cheese this world balls up between your toes?

Our preacher always tells us to "just forge ahead, get to work, let the problems take care of themselves." (Jackie Hutton paraphrase). And I wonder constantly how in all that lives beneath the sky are you supposed to do that?

I get so tired of all the 'Christian' platitudes . . . "The Lord will provide a way of escape", "Jackie, you remember, you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you", "Now, Jackie, all you have to do is just pray . . " (or my favorite) "Just love them."

AAARRRRGGGHHHH!

Honestly, I would love to push all the neat 'Christian' responses down a disposal and turn that switch and run lots of water until they are less than mush.

. . . and then . . .

Then I look at things for what they are and realize that there is no way around it: All that stuff is true. The cliche's are just so convenient , , . can they really be an answer? Or is there some way to get past them and forge on to an answer that relates to me and really helps?

Or is it that my attitude is rotten? Or am I taking the whole thing too seriously? Or am I looking for trouble?

All I know is that I have one shot - - just one life to give for God. And you always worry that you'll blow it. And if you do blow it . . . what else is there? I mean, come on. Without Christ there really is no life. Whether you decide to believe it or not, it's truth - Christ is coming back, it's soon, and it's serious.

4 comments:

Dana said...

I agree 100%! I was talking to a friend about this last night. Don't you want to poke someone in the eye when they tell you that God will never give you more than you can bear or that He always provides a way out? You know in your heart of hearts that this is true but it is almost like salt in a huge open wound. You know those sticks they used to give women to bite on during childbirth? I've decided that is what those cliches are. With them, they provide an outlet to make the pain more bearable but isn't there something that might be slightly more effective in the moment? Oh well. I'll just love those that drop the cliches and realize that, in truth, they are being used because people love you and are having a hard time knowing what to say. In the meantime, keep chewing the stick. It's better than nothing!

jenn said...

i think that i would rather hear something that i don't want to hear rather than be ignored. because like dana said, someone is reaching out, that person wants to help and wants to comfort and wants to support but just doesn't know quite how to do it.
and i agree with you, you do get one chance at life, but not just ~one chance, you screw up-you're out!~ no, grace is an awesome thing, He knew we would mess up, that's why he sent Christ. Just love him and the rest will happen. Noone said that it wouldn't be tough or that you wouldn't feel like turning the disposal on things, but keeping loving Him and let His love lead the way. I love you!

The Johnsons said...

You know, there are lots of things in life that I don't like. I do love that you have labeled those horrible things "The Toe Cheese of Life."

I wonder - are there different levels of Toe Cheese? You know a fender bender compared to a divorce? Just curious.

I really did get the point of your blog, your title just really stuck out to me...

Ceal said...

For my own personal input, and first time for me to comment to you Jackie I believe for me the key to living my life to the fullest and not worrying about the day to day things in life is to not look to the cliches but to the Bible for how to handle things.

One of my favorite Bible verses is: Philippians 4:4-9 "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

and then learning to be content because in God's time it will all be made clear to me. Philippians 4:11-13 "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

I hope that you will not take my words as preaching to you I can only share my way of dealing with things in my life. I wish you nothing but the best.