The Fam!

The Fam!
All Us Huttons

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Funerals

Went to a funeral today and got to thinking about what I would do if it was Robert who had passed. Funerals ARE for the living . . . I'm not about to tell Robert what to do at mine. (He told me he'd have congregational singing of 'Mansions Over the Hilltop' and 'Just a little Chocolate Jesus' and then talk about the answers I'd given in 'Loaded Questions'. How right is that?)

There is absolutely no room for much beside joy at a Christians funeral. Although you'd get run out of town for it, I really think there should be a lot of laughing and more than a little bit of envy. Even if the Christian will be missed, it's really no different than a long vacation - we all will be home together eventually.

I ain't saying not to cry - I would bawl my eyes out at Roberts because I would have to go it alone whereas they'd be lined up for him - the scum. But don't cry in misery for the one gone. They sure aren't crying at all anymore.

1 comment:

andrew said...

Funerals really are the only time you can be reverent and joking at the same time. For those who are closest to the deceased, this is a time for mourning the one who has passed on ahead, but it can be a time to lovingly (maybe jokingly) remember a friend passed on. I went to a funeral once that, while there was a solemnaty (sp?) to the occassion, the deceased had left instructions to tell lots of jokes at the funeral. He loved corny, odd-ball jokes. We had a blast and it was just what he wanted.