The Fam!

The Fam!
All Us Huttons

Sunday, September 17, 2006

The show

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I have written a book and am in the process of getting it published with the working title 'If You Wanna Learn Humility, Buy a Horse'. If I have learned nothing else, I have learned that I am a prophetic kind of sap.

Hercules, my . . uh . .'handful' of a miniature horse, has done obstacle 87 thousand 458 eight times. In fact, Rachael and I practiced with him and he was so calm and good I considered taking him to the vet. This was not my snot nosed, biting, head tossing, bolting little skeeze wad of a horse I have always known and periodically thought of selling. He was so good, he had to be ill. Very ill. And when we practiced jumping . . man, I away so happy I hadn't sold him. Perhaps . . prayerfully, he had finally matured into a calm, sensible horse.

. . . and then . .

He refused to turn for the back up, backed up all over the poles, kept bumping into me as we trotted. There was a point where you were supposed to lead them into a box, drop the lead and then walk around the box while they 'ground tied' waiting for you. I saw that and told the ground steward to shut the gates to the arena. Sure enough, he bolted for it, the lead flying behind him like something off a disney cartoon. I could only laugh at that point. This was, after all, the Hercules I knew (who was back on the 'I need to think about selling him' block).

And his jumping? He said, "you must be on drugs, chick. I ain't jumpin nothin!' and then when he finally did, he hopped. It was like he was a flea.

Well, at least he wasn't sick.

The end of the matter is this - If you wanna learn humility, buy a horse.

3 comments:

Cryssy said...

Ah, memories. Sounds like the fun Saber and I had for many years. Wish I could have laughed about it like you. At least you know that everything is normal. HA!!!

Ceal said...

Jackie sounds very interesting. We all need something to keep us grounded (sorry for the pun) I suppose! Miss you!

Jaci said...

hey I know THAT horse!! LoLs .. the vet and Jarreds foot .. haha!! good memories .. anyways .. sorry it didnt go exactly as planned (would it be safe to say it didnt ANYTHING like you planned???) but hey, whats goes exactly as planned??