The Fam!

The Fam!
All Us Huttons

Friday, September 08, 2006

This from a Howlie

You know how it is when you think something about someone and it isn't a nice thing to think, but every time you come in contact with them, your negative opinion of them is only reinforced? And you hate yourself because not only are those feelings self destructive, they're also totally fatal to any chance you have of showing positive Christian attitudes - - or even showing positive human attributes?

Been there?

I have. For about 3 years I have hated coming to Hawaii because of the people. They are less than nice . . uh . . personality challenged . . uh . . royal creeps. I hate being viewed as scum, hate the 'Great. Here comes another Howlie' smirks I get everywhere, the wait staff hawaiians who think a tip is like air - from God therefore born of grace, not merit and I especially hate the "I live in paradise. And what? You're from . . Texas?"

But today all that changed. All day I was around Hawaiians who laughed, and joked and were so glad to see me. Yeah, I was giving them money, but that didn't even bother me. I saw a whole different people. I loved learning culture. I was in love with the talent of this people. The Pacific was bluer and the mountains were higher. The plumeria smelled sweeter. I mean, how cool is that?

I have been proved wrong -AGAIN. (Happens so often, I don't even blink an eye anymore). And it is with some regret that I leave knowing this is my last trip to this island.

Always leave while you still want to stay. Leaves a better taste in your mouth.

2 comments:

Cryssy said...

I'm so glad you will be leaving with a good memory. I say enjoy being a Howlie. You can enjoy Hawaii with newbie eyes where the rest of them can't do that. How do you know this will be your last trip? God may see that as a challenge, I mean, He does have a great sense of humor!!

The Johnsons said...

Howlie? Where did they get that word? Why not stick with something like cracker - at least we know they use that word because we're white...

Glad you are enjoying your last few days! Tell your family we say hello!