The Fam!

The Fam!
All Us Huttons

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Barbara

I've never had someone close to me die before. No one's even really been sick. Wow.

Barbara (my Egyptian cotton mom in law) called today and she sounded so weak it made me want to get to Missouri yesterday (I'm not allowed there now. The kemo makes her really susceptible to infections and I might accidentally give her something that could end up killing her.) She was in what she calls, her 'rubber bone' days. It lasts 11 to 14 days after the therapy and she gets another dose 10 days later.

The cure is worse than the disease.

She can't move well and has problems controlling her speech. She can't eat. She sleeps 15 minutes out of every 60. She also has a tendency to say how she feels no matter what - Barbara is not one for letting emotion rule or really even have a minor role in the theatre of her life.

But she said that she had to call because; "I really miss you, lady."

In Hawaii, I called and told her I didn't like the way she sounded and her response was, "No matter what, Jack, you remember I love you."

I don't want to write anymore.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I think God is so good to allow us to live long enough that we come to realize how special people are to us. To allow time to heal the wounds of a lifetime. To see a person as they are as they reach the end of their time on earth. Thanks for sharing this private portion of your life; it's nice to see you being loved by her, even if it's been a long time coming.
I hope God gives her peace and rest.

jenn said...

my heart aches for you and rejoices for you at the same time! Wow it's so cool how God uses emotionsa like that and uses people the way He does. i pray she and you will have peace and comfort (i know that may be "toe cheese to you" but it's gold to me!) i love you!

jenn said...

Rosie says: Jackie God is always in the mending business. Barbara is struggling with life and she realizes the most important people in her life. I'm glad she sees now how important you are to her, but also to her sweet boy. I love you and I'm praying that when its time God will make death easy for Barbara---in the mean time He is givomg you and Barbara quality time to spend together even if it is by phone. I love you, Rosie